If you’ve ever been on the hunt for good-quality replacement windows in Omaha NE and surrounding areas, chances are you’ve heard of low-emissivity, or low-E, glass.
Don’t be fazed by the technical-sounding name! Here’s what you stand to gain when you install a window that uses low-E glass:
- Reduced heat transfer. What makes low-E glass so different from its ordinary cousins is its special coating. It’s engineered in such a way that the amount of heat passing through the glass is kept to a minimum. This way, heat is kept inside the house in winter and outside during summer.
- No fogging or clouding. Clouding or fogginess is a common window problem. Condensation in between the glass panes is a sign of poor insulation. Low-E glass is designed to be better insulated than its counterparts so that air doesn’t condense inside the glass.
- Increased protection against harmful rays. The protective coating also targets ultraviolet (UV) rays that can harm your home’s interiors. Unchecked, UV rays can cause walls and fabrics to fade. Low-E coatings reduce the amount of UV rays that can pass through the window so it doesn’t cause damage to your home.
- Maximized visibility. One of the most basic uses of windows is letting sunshine into a room. A window that uses low-E glass, despite its multiple protective coatings, retains its ability to let in a great deal of natural light. This is because the protective layers of the glass are all microscopically thin and transparent.
- Long-term savings. With the excellent insulation properties of low-E glass, you can give your cooling and heating systems ample rest from time to time. When you don’t have to overwork your furnace or air-conditioning, you can save up on energy expenses in the long run.
We here at Renewal by Andersen® of Omaha and Lincoln like taking window innovations a notch higher. The standard replacement window we install uses High-Performance™ Low-E4® glass, which contains more protective layers than your usual low-E coated glass. It’s designed to block 83% of the sun’s harmful UV rays as well as reflect back undesirable heat, keeping your room at a comfortable temperature at all times. Our glass has been proven to be 45% more energy-efficient than regular dual-pane glass in winter and 56% more during the summer.
Thinking of switching to low-E glass? Don’t worry, you’re not mad as a hatter! Contact us at (402) 513-2828 to schedule a free consultation or get an estimate on window replacement in Omaha NE and surrounding areas.