Properly planning for a window replacement helps ensure its success. Preparing for a replacement includes choosing a contractor and a replacement window. The problem is, with the variety of options available to homeowners, too many of them end up making the wrong choice. Renewal by Andersen® of Omaha and Lincoln, your reliable window replacement contractor, shares the five mistakes you should avoid.
1. Considering the Initial Cost Only. While it is important to consider the initial cost of a window, you shouldn’t forget about its life-cycle costs. This includes maintenance, painting, cleaning, and any other cost related to operating windows. Over time, the life-cycle cost will greatly exceed a window’s initial cost. Determining the most cost-effective window requires the proper evaluation of different window types. It’s very rare that the window with the lowest initial cost also has the best life-cycle cost.
2. Choosing the Same Window Type. This is arguably one of the worst mistakes you can make during a window replacement. Replacing your existing windows with the exact same type and style may be easy, but you’re missing out on the chance to improve your home.
There are different replacement windows that offer a level of energy efficiency and security that old units cannot. Other replacement windows offer low maintenance costs and improved comfort. For instance, Renewal by Andersen of Omaha and Lincoln offers energy-efficient replacement windows that protect your home from UV rays.
3. Ignoring Intangibles. Intangible factors include the impact of your windows on indoor comfort and the effect your windows have on your property’s curb appeal. It’s important to consider these, as they directly affect your daily life. You may choose the most cost-effective and secure window, but if it does nothing to improve your home’s performance, then you won’t be getting your money’s worth.
4. Disregarding Security. Your windows are a key factor in your home’s security. They help keep intruders out and allow you to see the outdoors from the safety of your home. Renewal by Andersen of Omaha and Lincoln offers a range of hardware options for our windows that add an extra layer of security for your peace of mind.
5. Scheduling Your Replacement at a Bad Time. Window replacement can be a disruptive process. Minimize the impact of this project on your family by determining the ideal time for it. You can ask your family for the times that are most convenient for them. Also, be sure to consider the weather conditions as they have a significant effect on the installation process. For instance, if your caulking is installed during a particularly cold time, it won’t properly adhere to the surface.
With all these things to think of, it can be daunting to plan for window replacement. Fortunately, at Renewal by Andersen of Omaha and Lincoln, we have a worry-free installation process. This means that from the planning to the actual installation, we are with you through every step. We serve communities in Omaha and the surrounding areas in NE. Call us at (402) 513-2828 to get started on your window replacement today.